I am currently working on a project to create an amplifier which can use both physical and digital inputs to change the resistance of a potentiometer.

Is this possible without using sliders?

I know this sounds like a pretty odd question but I'm not sure how else I could do it as all the Pots I've found are either Digital or Analogue.

Thanks for your time.

  • \$\begingroup\$ You mean motorized pots? \$\endgroup\$ – Wesley Lee Dec 8 '18 at 19:59

Motorized potentiometers are a thing, although they are not used much on new equipment.

Another option is to use an encoder to detect knob rotation and use that to update a digital pot.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Hi Jasen, thank you for your help I'll look into these things tomorrow :D \$\endgroup\$ – Ben Robinson Dec 9 '18 at 0:32

Welcome Ben.

Maybe what you are looking for is a programmable gain amplifier (PGA) like this one (sorry the schematic looks quite old). Wikipedia page on programmable gain amplifiers gives also two links to integrated circuits. There is also a discussion on PGA here.

The gain depends on a binary word that could be generated:

  • either directly by your digital system
  • or from a physical slider and an analog to digital converter (ADC)

The choice between the two input is up to you.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Hi Charles, This sounds like a pretty neat Idea I'll have a look at this when i research Jasen's comment above. Thanks again Ben \$\endgroup\$ – Ben Robinson Dec 9 '18 at 0:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.