A motor on my HiFi system (which is supposed to lift a volume controller) has broken. The motor is stuck and I don't want to fix the mechanical part. I assume disassembling the volume controller would cause problems.

However, I have access to the flat cable to the complete volume unit. I'd like to isolate the motor pin. The flat cable looks like this one:

Image of flat cable

(Image source - AliExpress)

The pins are really tiny. How could I isolate the pin? It would be great if this is reversible. I thought about using nail polish. This usually works well on bigger connectors. However I fear it might be too thick or be too hard to apply on only one pin. Are there other "more professional" approaches to make such on PCB changes?

| improve this question | | | | |

Kapton tape. Cut a tiny piece up on a nonsticky backer (like taken from another adhesive product) and stick on. Also used to isolate under one pin of a QFP (unsolder, bend up slightly, stick underneath). Available at Uline and other fine online retailers.

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ if you have a laptop computer, then remove one of the panels on the underside .... you may find some Kapton tape holding a harness .... just cut a piece \$\endgroup\$ – jsotola Dec 29 '18 at 19:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thank, that sounds quite professional. I don't have found a device yet which I could open. I'll keep looking and try it out. \$\endgroup\$ – Mr.Sh4nnon Dec 30 '18 at 8:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.