I am about to purchase a Rover 5 Robot Platform from Spark Fun and I would like to know what type of motor controller I should get, and is there a controlling device instead such as a remote control? Thanks.
Big question (and probably one that you'd be better asking SparkFun about - they seem to have a very helpful and knowledgeable staff).
Lots of things to look at:
- Stall current
- Seems to be 2.5A (manual)
- There's a comment on the site stating that it seems to be a total stall current (4 motors at ~500mA each)
- Comfort with electronics
- Will you be comfortable hooking it to an Arduino/RaspPi?
- Or are you keen for plug and play remote control with a standard out of the box transmitter/receiver?
- All bells and whistles - feedback, lots of interface options, but rather expensive.
- Simpler alternative - if you are rather comfortable with electronics the L298 is a very nice H bridge chip, rather easy to use.
(no affiliation to pololu - just like their gear)