I want to put a LED inside a door and to get the current to the door I was trying to find a device that could conduct while the door is closed like so https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Function-Magnum-Shooter-Dakota-Digital-MGS-2/231532017929?epid=1037725533&hash=item35e8623909:g:FU8AAOSwJTta1hxY:rk:7:pf:0

but I'm sure that there is something more specific(and cheap)then that, I just don't know what to search

Does anyone has an Idea?



Well, Sorry for the lack of information in the original post. My bad.
Here's the photo that's in the link


The Purpose of this is that I want to do an electric locking for a bathroom door in my house and I want a LED to light everytime the locking system is switched on. I want the LED to be placed in the door itself(design preference) and to do that i'm looking for a way to "electrify" the door

Thats it

  • \$\begingroup\$ Please post enough information in your question so that we can understand it without following a link. Also note that the eBay link will die rendering your question useless to others in future. A photo is probably enough in this case. Tanks? \$\endgroup\$
    – Transistor
    Dec 30, 2018 at 16:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ Sensing that a door is fully closed is different than almost closed. What is the exact purpose? To detect if opening 1mm or ?? \$\endgroup\$ Dec 30, 2018 at 16:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ Your link is to a variety of spring pin / pogo pin that is fairly short and squat and probably intended for routine usage in a consumer product, vs longer thin ones used for production test. If you don't need the implicit switching, hinges with wires through them are a product. In some cases some sort of inductive coupling could be interesting. \$\endgroup\$ Dec 30, 2018 at 16:35
  • \$\begingroup\$ Taking a proven design from commonly available cars & vans - if the door is hinged, use a cable between the hinged side of the door and the door jam. Only if the door is sliding, use the contact method as described. But even then, many sliding car doors use a cable management system instead. \$\endgroup\$
    – st2000
    Dec 30, 2018 at 16:40
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Google "power transfer hinge" for some useful products. \$\endgroup\$
    – Dave Tweed
    Dec 30, 2018 at 16:53

1 Answer 1


After a lot of searches on google

Behold !

The "Tappet Contacts"!

Tappet Contacts

  • \$\begingroup\$ This is a modern version of devices used to power electric strikes in entry doors of apartment buildings. Placed by the top hinge, they maintain contact even if the door is slightly open. Another choice is the metal shielded flexible cable. It looks like the metal cable on a pay-phone. They maintain contact at all door positions. \$\endgroup\$
    – John Canon
    Dec 31, 2018 at 2:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.