I am not an electrical engineer but an industrial designer, and I work for a SexTech company that strives to create sophisticated sex toys for women.

We are currently trying to prototype a vibrator that can sense the pressure applied to it. We have been trying conductive fabric, usual FSP sensors and non of them work to what we need.

I was wondering if anyone can direct me or help out with what sort of sensor can be used to this case. I know it's been done by other companies for different cases, for example by Lioness (youtube unboxing video).


closed as off-topic by brhans, Harry Svensson, Transistor, RoyC, Warren Hill Jan 13 at 10:33

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ So, you're producing a mass market product, and instead of just going out and buying one of your competitor's products and taking it apart yourselves you ask here? Um, doesn't bode well. \$\endgroup\$ – Marcus Müller Jan 12 at 18:40
  • \$\begingroup\$ they are not a competitor since what we are doing is totally different, and unfortunately their product is not available for purchase on this part of the world \$\endgroup\$ – Aydan Jan 12 at 19:01
  • \$\begingroup\$ I'm surprised you can't find an exporter from the US. Probably means you're in a sanctioned country, i.e. Iran, Burma, Ivory Coast, Syria or North Korea. In either country, you get my fullest respect for selling sex toys for women, considering government ideas of decency or safety situation. \$\endgroup\$ – Marcus Müller Jan 12 at 19:11
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yeah, find a "parcel forwading service" order on-line and send it the forwarders, then pay them to have it delivered to you. \$\endgroup\$ – Jasen Jan 13 at 9:32

From the top of my head:

  • The thing is probably hermetically sealed anyway. So, if you make the hull compressible, you can simply use an air pressure sensor, as used e.g. in blood pressure measurement. Air pressure sensors are cheap and reliable.
  • the product video you've linked to makes it suspiciously much look like there's discrete points that are pressure sensitive. Don't overestimate the smartness of that; might simply be microswithches behind "springy" pieces of plastic. If it's very intensely engineered, there might be a simple load cell or stress sensor.
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ it could be just cone-shaped conductive rubber that bridges thick film resistors \$\endgroup\$ – Jasen Jan 13 at 9:10

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.