PCB through-holes (vias) are at the border

As you can see, the through-holes (vias) are at the border of the inner cutout. (rendering is wrong of course, as vias are not cut)

I imagine a manufacturer first prints the board and then cuts it, so that will be no problem to produce - correct?

And how does one call such border/edge-mounted, cut-in-half vias?


1 Answer 1


They are called "castellations", from their similarity to the battlements of castles.

An example explanation from seeedstudio.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ In some situations, you may ask them to route the board without the replating that gives you the castellated holes. For example, I have done this for mounting holes which slightly overlap with the board edge from run to run and ask the MFG to route through it without replating to guarantee the board dimensions. \$\endgroup\$
    – crasic
    Jan 22, 2019 at 17:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.