I've seen this packaging used by many companies, specifically in mobile equipment, automotive ECU's, marine, and other harsh environment applications. I doubt all these manufactures are making the packaging for themselves, so it must be some sort of standard format that I can purchase.

To describe the packaging, I would call it a rectangular box that's a solid plastic housing on 5 sides but one, that normally has a single PCB counterpart that slides down in and has a 'cap' on one side of the PCB. Sliding the PCB into the until the cap 'clicks' into place gives it a watertight seal. The cap usually has 1 or 2 Deutsch style or other automotive connector. Additionally the main housing usually has 2 tabs off it for an M8 / 1/4" bolt to secure it to a flat surface.

Some examples:

enter image description here enter image description here

Any info on this would be appreciated.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Are there any manufacturer markings internally? \$\endgroup\$
    – Solar Mike
    Feb 1 '19 at 18:06
  • \$\begingroup\$ I don't have one of these on hand right now. I used to use products in this packaging several years ago. If I have to, I'm just going to order something to get it on hand and take it apart. \$\endgroup\$
    – DrTarr
    Feb 1 '19 at 18:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ Why do you think they don't do it for themselves? Have you seen twice the same package? I didn't. It's very difficult to find these enclosures and stuffs and when you find them it's prohibitively expensive. \$\endgroup\$
    – Fredled
    Feb 1 '19 at 20:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ I've held some these packages in my hand from different and know for certain they are identical. \$\endgroup\$
    – DrTarr
    Feb 2 '19 at 20:03

Turns out Deutsch themselves makes the whole enclosure:


Thanks for playing


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.