It's rock solid, not like the cables glue.
What is it ?
What is it for ?
How do I remove it ?
How do I put it back ?

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ You accepted the answer too quickly (which is probably 100% wrong). Wait a day or two, and you should get real answers \$\endgroup\$
    – TFD
    Commented Sep 25, 2012 at 11:35
  • \$\begingroup\$ possible duplicate of How to remove "glue block" from PCB? \$\endgroup\$ Commented Sep 25, 2012 at 14:01

2 Answers 2


This is known as "Potting."

From pottingsolutions:

Potting (embedment) is the covering of an electronic or electrical device to protect it from the surrounding environment. Most of the time it is for protection from water or moisture and /or to electrically insulate it so that it will operate as designed. This can be done by several methods: potting, casting and encapsulation. Many names have been used interchangeably so there is some confusion of the terms. The most commonly used term is encapsulation or potting.

I have removed it in the past from a PFC module by scraping it slowly out with a screwdriver. This is normally only done to figure out what is in the module, or to determine a failing component. I have never attempted to reverse the procedure, but I assume it would be possible if damage is not done to the components during removal.

Potting Solutions also discusses the removal of the potting:

There are two ways to remove potting compound either physically or chemically remove it. To physically remove the potting compound it is common to heat the part until the potting compound becomes soft and it can be torn off. If it is a high Tg potting compound it could be cooled and then hit to shatter the resin since it is brittle at low (-40C) temperatures. Chemical removal of the potting compound is done by soaking in solvents to soften the resin so it can be torn off. The solvents are toxic so care must be used.

  • \$\begingroup\$ I tried the hot air gun but it's not localized as was said, there's no way it can avoid components (a capacitor exploded) and it's only effective at maximum heat (600°C). I tried drilling, it makes a lot of dust and you don't see what you drill. I tried hammering but it breaks the board with it. I tried a soldering iron but it's too much work, maybe with a large tip. I don't have liquid nitrogen at home and I bet that would break everything with it. So I want to try the chemical way, what solvents must I use ? \$\endgroup\$ Commented Oct 14, 2012 at 13:21

boil it in water for 10-15 mins then scrape it off with a screwdriver or spudger

  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ A warm welcome to the site. Your answer needs to contain some explanations rather than just firing off the solution exam-style. It should be written clearly enough to teach future readers. Please can you edit it and greatly improve it. Thanks. \$\endgroup\$
    – TonyM
    Commented Apr 20, 2020 at 12:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.