So I know it may be a basic question but hear me out. These are the specs for the transformer I would like to buy.

To add a fuse to the primary coil I would do 16VA/240V which gives 0.06A. Does that mean I need to get a 100mA fuse?


1 Answer 1


Does that mean I need to get a 100mA fuse?

Yes, a 100 mA fuse should do the job.

There are fast (F) and slow (T) fuses, I would start with a fast fuse and see how that works out. If the fuse would sometimes blow when the transformer is connected to AC mains then try again with a slow fuse.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thank you Bimpelrekkie. Should this be the correct one? Does it correspond to the specification of the transformer? uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cartridge-fuses/0563582 \$\endgroup\$
    – M2T156
    Feb 13, 2019 at 8:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ There is no need to have the fuse "correspond to the specification of the transformer". A fuse is a fuse. This is a slow fuse. It will do the job. \$\endgroup\$ Feb 13, 2019 at 8:25
  • \$\begingroup\$ Okay that's great so that it will work fine then? Should I order it? \$\endgroup\$
    – M2T156
    Feb 13, 2019 at 8:27
  • \$\begingroup\$ @M2T156 It will work just fine. Make sure you have a proper fuse holder. Keep in mind that transformers tend to draw large amounts of current for 3-4 grid periods, when connected. So if the fuse blows, just buy a 200 mA fuse. \$\endgroup\$
    – thece
    Feb 13, 2019 at 8:44
  • \$\begingroup\$ The fuse has a current of 35A is that you are talking about the surge current? \$\endgroup\$
    – M2T156
    Feb 13, 2019 at 9:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.