While revisioning my resume I found out that I do not know what is the industry standard name of one of my previous job. I simply called it "Software developer" but I don't think it fits properly.

The job involved the following:

  1. Programming instruments (such as Keithley's voltage/current sources for example) to perform a certain sweep/measurement according to required specs.
  2. Testing and implementing features on programs developed at point 1.
  3. Perform measurements on electronic components and compare with datasheet specs.

I don't think "Laboratory technician" is a good fit either.


closed as off-topic by Chris Stratton, Andy aka, Hearth, Finbarr, The Photon Mar 4 at 18:31

  • This question does not appear to be about electronics design within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • \$\begingroup\$ When you say "programming" what does that mean exactly? Are you adjusting the settings on the instrument, or are you writing software that will interface and setup the instrument? If it was an engineering position "Test and Validation Engineer" is a recognized industry title. \$\endgroup\$ – Clipboard_Waving_Enginerd Mar 4 at 14:22
  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is about career classifications while this website is only for specific issues in the actual practice of Engineering. Career questions are off topic. \$\endgroup\$ – Chris Stratton Mar 4 at 14:24
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Clipboard_Waving_Enginerd writing software which was mostly SCPI, LabVIEW or a combination of both. \$\endgroup\$ – mickkk Mar 4 at 15:43
  • \$\begingroup\$ @ChrisStratton could you please suggest me where would be an appropriate place to move this question to? \$\endgroup\$ – mickkk Mar 4 at 15:45
  • \$\begingroup\$ @mickkk Sounds like a "Test Engineer" position to me, "Test and Validation Engineer" is a title I held where my work was very similar. Good luck on your job search! \$\endgroup\$ – Clipboard_Waving_Enginerd Mar 4 at 15:47

That sounds like the job of a test engineer.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.