I have a project where I need to put a switch in between the resource from tester and the DUT. My DUT is a 48 pin device (semiconductor IC), each of the pins has its own ESD diode. The switch, for example, can be an ADG1612.

FYI on my project : I need to do a continuity test. It is to check if the DUT exists or is placed properly in the socket by measuring the DUT's ESD protection diode. The test method is to apply current and measure the voltage, expecting ~ 0.6v.

My tester resource has already shorted the Force and Sense pins, so there is no way to use Force and Sense to detect if DUT is place correctly in socket.

Since there is a switch in between resource and DUT, it will still get a diode measurement if the DUT does not exist because it is checking the ESD diode of the switch now.

For the DUT pin which connects directly to resource, it will get clamp value if there is no DUT connected or get a real diode measurement if the DUT does exist.

my question is: Is there any switch on the market (from AD, TI..etc) that has a switch without an ESD diode? Or called a flying diode? Or is there any switch on the market that will not affect/confuse the diode measurement?


  • \$\begingroup\$ What is the magnitude of the voltage being switched? What are the switch requirements: on resistance, bandwidth, control voltage, etc? \$\endgroup\$ – AnalogKid Mar 5 at 16:15
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Make your own switch with mosfets if an integrated one won't work \$\endgroup\$ – Voltage Spike Mar 5 at 17:02
  • \$\begingroup\$ When you say "resource" do you mean "source"? \$\endgroup\$ – TimWescott Mar 5 at 17:39
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Can you power the analog switch independently of the DUT? If you power the switch with a rail that's at least 0.6V below ground and a rail at least 0.6V above ground (I'd go with 1V to be sure), then the switch's diodes wouldn't be involved. If my question makes no sense, could you post a schematic fragment that illustrates how your DUT, switch, and tester are connected together? \$\endgroup\$ – TimWescott Mar 5 at 17:41
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ In my experience the "switch" you are looking for is an electromechanical relay. I have fond memories of listening to the relays click as the continuity test is performed. \$\endgroup\$ – Elliot Alderson Mar 6 at 0:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.