I don't mean LEDs for indication, debugging, etc. I mean LED effects like on the MSI Z370 Motherboard, where entire sections of the board are illuminated by continuous strips of light. How is this accomplished?


closed as too broad by Edgar Brown, Bimpelrekkie, RoyC, Finbarr, StainlessSteelRat Mar 14 at 20:22

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ "...entire sections of the board are illuminated by continuous strips of light." Just curious - do you have photos of the actual motherboard? As far as I can tell, the marketing material on the website you linked are renders. \$\endgroup\$ – Daniel Mar 6 at 23:58
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ i looked at the web page that you linked .... all you need is red paint \$\endgroup\$ – jsotola Mar 7 at 1:16
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ no, i think that the OP is mistaking painted lines for continuous strips of light ..... another consumer dazzled by advertising gimmicks .... lol \$\endgroup\$ – jsotola Mar 7 at 1:18
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ @jsotola lol Falstad is so easy, my brother-in-law Prof at U of T in EE power Systems was impressed by the user interface and ease of simulation. tinyurl.com/yxebxnv2 when I showed him after dinner last nite. \$\endgroup\$ – Tony Stewart Sunnyskyguy EE75 Mar 7 at 2:03
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Are you referring to the illuminated strip between the sound circuitry and the rest of the PCB, along the lower half of near the left edge? \$\endgroup\$ – Andrew Morton Mar 7 at 16:53

Usually this is done with a small side-firing LED that shines into a light guide film to distribute the light. Sometimes they etch small features so the light comes out at only certain places.

Here is an example of similar technology (LINK) : enter image description here The circuit carrier film can be a PCB.

EDIT: Fun coincidence: I was assembling a new embedded system this morning, and on power-up noticed the motherboard has this same feature:

enter image description here

It is a Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Please provide a link or citation to the original source of the image you included in your answer. \$\endgroup\$ – Elliot Alderson Mar 7 at 1:02
  • \$\begingroup\$ It is from a company that I have manufacture this kind of thing for me, and I didn't want to be accused of advertising. \$\endgroup\$ – evildemonic Mar 7 at 15:54
  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ You can downvote me all you want, however, this is precisely how we add LED effects to our PCBs. \$\endgroup\$ – evildemonic Mar 7 at 16:11
  • \$\begingroup\$ I changed the image and link to a company I have no affiliation with. \$\endgroup\$ – evildemonic Mar 7 at 16:40
  • \$\begingroup\$ Cool, but...is this what MSI is doing, or is their ad simply a gimmick? \$\endgroup\$ – mike65535 Mar 7 at 16:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.