I'm looking at a teardown of Sennheiser Momentum wireless earbuds. It is a rigid-flex design that folds into the casing: sennheiser1

My question is about the flex that sticks out to the right in the picture above. Here is another picture with the part I’m wondering about circled in red: sennheiser2

When folded into the casing it would end up facing out toward the plastic.

The Earin M-2 wireless earbuds also have something similar: earin

What is it and what does it do?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Maybe it's an antenna? \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Apr 3, 2019 at 13:02
  • \$\begingroup\$ Antenna is my guess too, given that it seems to have a 'guard trace' in the form of a ground plane around the trace leading to it. \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    Apr 3, 2019 at 13:57
  • \$\begingroup\$ I was thinking it could be a proximity sensor? To sense if it is inserted into an ear. Not the actual volume etc touch controls, just proximity \$\endgroup\$
    – Filippa
    Apr 3, 2019 at 14:41

1 Answer 1


This looks like a pad for capacitive touch sensing. This could be used in a wireless earbud for sensing if the earbuds are in your ear or for sensing finger taps for actions like pausing music.

A monitoring device like a microcontroller will charge the pad and measure the time it takes for the voltage to decay, which is a function of the capacity. The capacitance of the pad will change when a finger is nearby

Capacitive touch sensing illustration Image source: https://www.embedded.com/waking-up-a-capacitive-touch-sensing-device-with-an-mcu-peripheral/

You can see a tutorial about some capacitive touch sensor modules here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-capacitive-touch-sensor-breakouts


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.