I am planning on using NI myDaq to power a motor and encoder which requires 12V, but myDaq outputs 15V. How can I reduce the voltage to 12V without dropping the current? I was planning on using a voltage divider, but that will end up reducing the current as well. Would the voltage regulator be a good choice? Or is there any other option I can use that can help me out.

This is the motor I am planning on using https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Motor-Encoder-265RPM-Ratio/dp/B0792S8JMY/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_ii_img#immersive-view_1554484722818

This is the voltage regulator I was planning on using https://www.amazon.com/Bridgold-L7824CV-Linear-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B07PK9X19D/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=voltage+regulator&qid=1555371986&s=hi&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

  • \$\begingroup\$ A 7824 is a 24V regulator. If you want a fixed 12V output, then a 7812 would be more appropriate (although still not necessarily the best choice). \$\endgroup\$ – brhans Apr 15 at 23:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ what do you mean by dropping the current? power loss? \$\endgroup\$ – Unknown123 Apr 16 at 0:51
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ You may want to look at the datasheet for the myDaq and the spec for the motor. The myDaq is rated for a maxmium of 4mA output from each analog output and 32mA for the fixed ±15V supplies. The spec from the uxcell motor is listed as 45mA no load. \$\endgroup\$ – JDB Apr 16 at 1:38
  • \$\begingroup\$ If you use a regulator, then you kind of defeat the purpose of using a DAC. A regulator tries to hold the voltage steady. If you need a fixed voltage, why are you using a DAC? If you just want to turn it on and off, you could use a transistor as a switch controlled by the DAC. If you need to drive forwards and backwards, you could use an H-bridge controlled by the DAC. \$\endgroup\$ – JRE Apr 16 at 2:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.