If I have two metal plates, with P1 connected to V+, and P2 connected to GND, how can I alternate the polarity of these two plates? I wish to have P1 connected to GND, and P2 connected to V+. Then swap polarity again, and so forth. Is there such a circuit for this type of polarity switching?

  • \$\begingroup\$ What are the dimensions of the plates? And define 'rapidly'. \$\endgroup\$ – Chu Apr 29 at 6:39
  • \$\begingroup\$ Are you building a synchrotron? \$\endgroup\$ – Jasen Apr 29 at 9:27
  • \$\begingroup\$ What is V+ max? \$\endgroup\$ – Sunnyskyguy EE75 Apr 29 at 11:25
  • \$\begingroup\$ It looks like I was overthinking this. I'm basically looking for an H-bridge sort of thing. A double-pole-double-throw switch as answered by Drew works too. I only need a switch of polarity once every second, or even longer intervals. The voltage would likely be 12V to feed the motor driver. \$\endgroup\$ – user3211857 Apr 30 at 7:08

The answer will depend on how fast, and what voltage. For occasional switching you can use a dpdt relay wired as a reverser.

I found a tutorial for this here. If that dies just search "DPDT reverse switch" or "DPDT reverse relay".

To go faster (like many times per second), you'll want to use an H bridge. For lowish voltages, you can get a fully integrated module from amazon based on the LM298N motor driver.

For higher voltages, you might have to build your own H bridge using high voltage components.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thank you. I apologize for the late response. I did some research and decided the H-bridge motor driver board is what I'm looking for. I can control the switching with an Arduino. \$\endgroup\$ – user3211857 Apr 30 at 7:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.