This is hopefully just a simple one to fill in my inexperience. I have a busted rotary switch that I'm trying to replace and I feel like I cannot find one for the life of me, can you tell me what this switch would be called?

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

When I got this thing the cover had blown off the switch and strewn those little blades (and the ball bearing) around the enclosure. Just need to know how find a new one, I feel like I'm searching wrong on digikey/mouser.

My best attempt to answer some questions asked:

1) This is used to change the "light pattern" on a coloured-light grid made for children with autism. It was donated to a charity i volunteer at. 2) Very niche manufacturer of homemade-grade equipment. The entire thing is made in the UK but this particular switch is made in France. 4) Stupidly I didn't record the number of positions, I will find out when I'm there next.

Knob looks like this: enter image description here

My fault for not getting more dimensions, the entire thing is about 1" square but I'm sure that's not exact. I'll desolder it from the board and take proper measurements. I was hoping to buy a couple of candidates for when I go back and maybe get lucky with fit.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Please edit your question to add the missing information: (1) Where used. (2) Make / country of origin of equipment. (3) Function. (4) How many positions. (5) Dimensions. (6) Pin spacing. (7) Shaft diameter. (8) Knob style (quarter flat, etc.). \$\endgroup\$ – Transistor May 4 at 15:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ Did my best to answer. \$\endgroup\$ – Dave May 4 at 16:10
  • \$\begingroup\$ The segments are strange. Usually these would be like a multimeter rotary selector with abrupt switching points from one position to the next. This seems to have spiral contact tracks that blend from one position to the next. Are the tracks fully conductive or are they resistive - a bit like potentiometer tracks? They look metallic but are they? \$\endgroup\$ – Transistor May 4 at 16:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ It definitely features abrupt switching points, the ballbearing causes a distinct stop at each level of rotation. There are 7 of those blades soldered to the board and another 7 which had exploded out of the casing when the white switch cap came off inside the enclosure. the photo may be misleading, there is ONE of those metal wafters (it is pictured in 2 of the photos) and the last photo depicts a plastic layer that sits on the wafer. As the thing turns the blades presumably slide over the plastic to break connectivity with the metal wafer. \$\endgroup\$ – Dave May 4 at 16:23
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ When you get back to it try getting a photo showing the relative positions of the disk and contacts when half-assembled. The other obvious thing is to contact the manufacturer. \$\endgroup\$ – Transistor May 4 at 16:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.