I bought a 200W magnetic LED driver with hopes of replacing the 40W Philips-supplied driver that came with my set of Hue Lily outdoor lights. Each fixture requires 8W at 24v. This new driver should allow me to add about 25 fixtures, instead of 5...
The (unexpected) Problem
I wired up the driver and tested the output with my multimeter: 24.1v. Perfect, so I brought it outside and hooked it up to the 5 already-installed fixtures. Nothing happened
Back inside, I retested the output and sure enough, it was 24v. This time, I intercepted the voltage in-line while I plugged in ONE fixture... A flash, and then nothing. The multimeter was now reading 38v!!
Why would a driver rated for constant voltage suddenly jump and destroy my fixtures?