I have a battery operated micro controller with a hall sensor, mounted on a motorbike. The hall sensor has a shielded cable to counteract spark plug induced EMI. By default, the entire setup is isolated from the bike.
I am not sure what to do with battery negative / motorbike chassis / cable shield - please, give me advice regarding the following setup options:
- option 1: cable shield connected to battery negative
- option 2: cable shield connected to motorbike chassis
- option 3: cable shield connected on both, the battery and the motorbike
...which further rises the following questions:
- is connecting the battery negative to the motorbike chassis good or bad?
- presumably, when the cable shield is connected to the battery negative, I do not need a separate negative carrying wire inside the cable as the shield can be used for that purpose - is it true?