I need to generate a train of rectangular pulses, with positive and negative arbitrary amplitude. Ideally, I would like to have the generation electronics connected with a computer, and I would like to generate a flow of values that would decide the amplitude of each pulse. (This is for a telecom project, so think of it as a stream of data, but I need to fine tune the amplitudes.)
Is an FPGA a good tool to do this?
The parameters are:
- a rise time of 10 or 20 ns
- a pulse duration of 100 or 200 ns
- a repetition rate of 500 KHz or 1 MHz.
- the max amplitudes should be +/- 1 V
- the amplitude resolution should be of 1 mV