Let's say I have a chassis housing a raspberry pi.

I have a second chassis with some neopixels. I want to connect these two chassis with two panel mount connectors and a cable. The cable would be sending the data from the rpi to the neopixels.

What sort of connector would you recommend I use? Something cheap, panel mount, and not universally used for anything else, ie, USB connector or 3.5 mm connector are both bad ideas for obvious reasons.

I don't want to use a ribbon cable either, please assume both chassis are "sealed".

Maybe some sort of DIN connector? What is the standard connector for GPIO type data?

  • \$\begingroup\$ I happen to like the Hirose HR30 series of circular plastic connectors that have a push-pull locking mechanism. I invested in the correct crimping tool for the contacts, which made working with them a breeze. \$\endgroup\$
    – Dave Tweed
    Jun 30, 2019 at 1:46
  • \$\begingroup\$ My apologies, let me rework this question as per your instructions. \$\endgroup\$
    – cat pants
    Jun 30, 2019 at 2:08

2 Answers 2


I usually go with Standard DB style (D-shell) connectors available in 9, 15 or 25 pin types. It's easy to get pre-made cables in a variety of lengths. You can go shielded or unshielded. You can get short ribbon cables that adapt your board (typically 0.1" IDC) to a DB connector that can be mounted to the chassis and then use a pre-made cable to connect the two boxes. Very robust.


There is not a standard connector / standard cable. When you design something, it must fullfill (predefined) specifications (voltage rating, current rating, signal integrity, etc). You pick a connector according to those specs.

Although you haven't defined specs, maybe searching the web for "subminiature connector" (D-SUB) or "circular connector" may help you find something "cheap, panel mount".
Make sure it does fit the ratings of your spec


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.