I hope my question is not too stupid. I'm controlling a brushed 48V 50A motor with a motor controller and I use two gel batteries as a power supply.
I would like to use a low power signal to switch on and off the power circuit, and for this reason I've bought a solenoid contactor (the coil works at 12v, the contacts are rated up to 500A). The contactor connectors open and close the positive main wire and it stays closed for all the working time (it is placed between the positive battery lead and the motor controller).
This is the solenoid: https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B01N49AYTN?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image#
The contactor is on all the time, and for this reason I realized that the temperature is very high (max 60 degrees).
Is it normal? Or should the contactor be closed only for short periods of time?