I am trying to design af system using the XUF-208-256-TQ64 Xmos controller (https://www.xmos.com/download/XUF208-256-TQ64-Datasheet(1.16).pdf). The system should get an audio stream from USB, upsample and then output the stream as an I2S signal.
It is my first time designing a PCB for digital signals.
The schematic for the xmos implementation:
Y1 is a 24 MHz oscillator. Datasheet: https://www.mouser.dk/datasheet/2/94/C33xx-186.pdf
U14 is a voltage detector with time delay, for holding reset at startup. Datasheet: https://www.mouser.dk/datasheet/2/348/bd45xxg-e-746184.pdf
I am laying out a 4-layer PCB, and would like some comments if I have done something that might not work + some specific questions. The PCB looks like this:
My questions are:
1) On the datasheet for the Xmos it says that ecoupling capacitors should be as close to the IC as possible. How close would a minimum be? I have put the capacitors as close as I can, with tracks coming out, will this be enough?
2) On the datasheet for the Xmos it says that the USB-standard dictates a differential impedance of 90 Ohm between the lanes. I find it hard to find information on this, and I have not found any specific implementations of this. What is to be done, to have this, and is it even needed? Is it implemented in the IC?
3) On P. 72 the datasheet says that RST_N should be fast enough for USB timing. But RST_N is just a signal to hold the IC in reset, what does this have to do with USB timing?
4) The datasheet states that the clock signal should rise/fall monotonic. However I do not find this in this datasheet for oscillators. Should I just assume that the oscillator is usable?
5) Should the tracks for the xsys header be same length? The datasheet do not say anything about this.
6) The datasheet says that I should minimize the amount of vias around the IC. Do I have too many, and how could it be done differently? By using longer tracks to the surface mounted components?
7) The PLL filter should, according to the datasheet, be as close to the IC as possible. Is my filter close enough? This is basically the same as question 1, but is the requirements the same?
I know this is a lot. I have tried to read the datasheet as good as possible, but these questions still stands. I hope some of them may be answered.