How to connect two PCB under the angle less than 90 degrees using stable connection (e.g. soldering)?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Use an angled connector. E.g. this one uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dimm-sockets/8962287 \$\endgroup\$ – Janka Aug 13 at 21:28
  • \$\begingroup\$ Mechanical strain and bend are going to be really wonky. You might be able to weld two plates together but it would be interesting what material these PCBs are. \$\endgroup\$ – KingDuken Aug 13 at 21:49
  • \$\begingroup\$ Use a box with channels for each PCB at the correct angle, and through-solder before or after sliding them in place. The channel would provide more strength and rigidity than would connectors or a seam along one side. \$\endgroup\$ – DrMoishe Pippik Aug 13 at 21:53
  • \$\begingroup\$ Do you actually need the PCBs to be electrically connected? Or can you just use a small hinge (maybe a tiny plastic hinge) and bolt it to the PCB and then use a flex cable to make the electrical connections? In particular, it would make it easier to unfold the PCBs for rework. \$\endgroup\$ – DKNguyen Aug 13 at 21:55
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Use a connector - flat cable. search for FFC. And mechanically join the boards with a bracket. \$\endgroup\$ – D Duck Aug 13 at 22:29

If you really need to solder it, one way to do this would to get some thick copper sheet metal, like 0.02" or 0.04", and and have a machinist put a bend in the copper at the angle needed. Put some thick pads on the board and solder the copper on.

The problem with this is you would need a lot of heat for the copper (with it's large thermal mass) which might not be good for the PCB. Pads on the PCB that are used with any kind of mechanical force can result in the pad being ripped from the board, so it's not advisable to use pads for mechanical purposes without strain relief.

It would probably be better to have a piece of metal machined and use fasteners to join the boards together.

Or you could put holes in the sheet metal and forget the soldering and use fasteners.

Another good option for fasteners are SMT PEM nuts

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ In your mind, are these surface mounted? Because in my mind you would slice them and use them as through-hole (or through-slot) components due to the strain. \$\endgroup\$ – DKNguyen Aug 13 at 21:50
  • \$\begingroup\$ If I was soldering something to the board, yeah, surface mounted. If I was doing this myself, I would use a through hole with fasteners and a machined part. \$\endgroup\$ – Voltage Spike Aug 13 at 22:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.