So I understand that high current through a conductor generates heat, and too high heat can melt things or cause components to fail. Short circuits are frequent causes of overcurrent, no?
Overvoltage is bad because it can cause overcurrent, or in the case of capacitors, trigger a breakdown voltage.
From what I understand, some components 'blow' (or inflate, explode, otherwise fail aside from direct melting) from dielectric breakdown - other components like diodes can fail for the same reason.
But is it actually the voltage that's causing these things to expand and pop like they do, or is it actually the rapid transit of electrons as a result of the excess voltage triggering an overheat and igniting something? I'm not sure my understanding of all this is correct.