I'm searching for a splitter for a plug that I have in my laser cutting machine. It's a Chinese model and the plug is responsible for a stepper motor (Y axis). It's a 4 pin connection.

Does anybody know the name of this plug? And also, is it splitable?

The purpose of all this is so that I can switch to a round axis (lathe) from my Y axis, without the need to dig into the power box where the plug is now located.

connector photo

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Search china aviation plug. \$\endgroup\$ Sep 26, 2019 at 17:52
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ The China made ones are called “aviation connectors” probably copies of some expensive original from Europe or the US, maybe someone knows the history. \$\endgroup\$ Sep 26, 2019 at 18:19
  • \$\begingroup\$ Possibly similar connector question which mentions their use in CNC / stepper motor connections in this answer. \$\endgroup\$
    – SamGibson
    Sep 26, 2019 at 18:23
  • \$\begingroup\$ @SamGibson Interesting. So XLR - audio- not really military/aerospace in origin. AFAIUI, China transitioned from Russian-standard military connectors to US-style D38999 circular connectors for mil-spec type applications maybe 40 years ago. \$\endgroup\$ Sep 26, 2019 at 19:31
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @SpehroPefhany - Hi, As highlighted by PeterBennett, I'm also not convinced about the claimed XLR heritage in one of the answers. I specifically wanted to highlight the answer that I linked from Jack Creasey which has useful links and information for other readers, and seems relevant to this question. \$\endgroup\$
    – SamGibson
    Sep 26, 2019 at 19:46

1 Answer 1


I know those as "Aviation Connector(s)".
They seem to be called "GX series" where there's a number indicating the size of the panel opening in mm (i.e. GX16 for 16 mm, GX20 for 20 mm). You should probably measure yours before buying a mating connector.

Aviation Connector from elecbee.com

Image source: elecbee.com

  • \$\begingroup\$ These are similar to IEC 61076-2-101 circular connectors seen in industry for fieldbuses and ethernet, etc , those come in M8/M12 however this aviation connector uses odd thread sizes, M9x1 and M13x1. I have found many results for M9 4 conductor. This is an "A" coded connector \$\endgroup\$
    – crasic
    Sep 26, 2019 at 18:20
  • \$\begingroup\$ @crasic I've found most of these connectors labeled GX with even thread sizes. Possibly, those odd sizes are yet another kind of circular connector. One thing to notice is, since these were found on an unnamed Chinese laser cutter, they probably used the most common type available, which seems to be those GX. \$\endgroup\$
    – RaphaelP
    Sep 26, 2019 at 18:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ The GX connector you link to is M19x1 thread, the housing dimension is used for the "GX" number \$\endgroup\$
    – crasic
    Sep 26, 2019 at 19:08
  • \$\begingroup\$ Good catch. There seems to be some mix up between GX number and thread/housing diameter because I've found GX20 with M19 (my link), but GX16 with M16 and GX25 with M25. \$\endgroup\$
    – RaphaelP
    Sep 26, 2019 at 19:27
  • \$\begingroup\$ Good digging, but regardless the iec m8/m12 etc are very expensive connectors compared to these. \$\endgroup\$
    – crasic
    Sep 26, 2019 at 21:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.