I am trying to build a boost converter that would output a high DC voltage (several hundreds). My concern is that I should use a transformer, but how should I implement it so that DC voltage input is possible? Do I need to use an DC/AC inverter before the transformer?

I've been told that an isolation transformer can take DC voltage..

Thank you in advance.

| improve this question | | | | |
  • \$\begingroup\$ Look into flyback converters. \$\endgroup\$ – MadHatter Oct 5 '19 at 21:26
  • \$\begingroup\$ You need a special transformer with an air gap. \$\endgroup\$ – Janka Oct 5 '19 at 21:34
  • \$\begingroup\$ @MadHatter Don't flyback converters use coupled inductors, not transformers? \$\endgroup\$ – Honeybutter Oct 5 '19 at 21:38
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Janka Can you specify what you mean by an air gap? Where can I find such transformers? \$\endgroup\$ – Honeybutter Oct 5 '19 at 21:39
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Honeybutter Typically you wind one or buy one, you can get something like an EE core of ferrite. Your right a flyback is a coupled inductor, but they work well for <50W power systems that require >5x boost or reduction of voltage. I recently used a simple flyback design for a 24V to 400V Supply to drive a tube amplifier. \$\endgroup\$ – MadHatter Oct 5 '19 at 21:43

You can look for a forward converter, which is more energy efficient than a flyback converter and fits your needs:

enter image description here

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • \$\begingroup\$ I read about this and it seems to work like a buck converter, not a boost converter. \$\endgroup\$ – Honeybutter Oct 6 '19 at 1:48
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Honeybutter Sort of, but you have a turns ratio so you can have an output voltage higher than the input. But a flyback is the simplest, cheapest option unless you need lots of output power (>~50W) \$\endgroup\$ – John D Oct 6 '19 at 2:03
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Honeybutter You have to adjust the turns ratio, and thus you can step-up or down your voltage, with much less magnetic cost and fits well if you want to handle more power \$\endgroup\$ – Iron Maiden Oct 6 '19 at 2:35
  • \$\begingroup\$ @JohnD Thank you for the reply. Do you know the relevant equation for the output voltage? \$\endgroup\$ – Honeybutter Oct 6 '19 at 8:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ @IronMaiden If I want to go up to 1000V, will that be possible? \$\endgroup\$ – Honeybutter Oct 6 '19 at 8:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.