So I have made a low pass filter and plotted the transfer function of it. However, I know I need to also use another opamp to correct the phase shifting/ gain. What design should be best to add on to the output so that it doesn't invert or change the transfer function, just shift it vertically? I have tried inverting and non inverting but both flip by graph. Help please?!? enter image description here

EDIT: This is what I tried, but it didn't just simply shift the graph (phase shift) but flipped it.

EDIT 2: Yes! I used the non-inverting op amp and it worked! I just accidentally had Vin/Vout instead of Vout/Vin. enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ Can you explain what you mean by shifting? Are you referring to amplitude or phase? What do you mean by "flip the graph along the Y-axis"? Does "shift it vertically" mean adding more gain in which case a non-inverting amplifier should work fine. I would like to help you but you are using non-standard terminology so I don';t know what you are trying to achieve. \$\endgroup\$
    – Barry
    Oct 12, 2019 at 1:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ Sorry about that, so I am referring to the phase of the graph. When I plotted the transfer function it created like an S curve. However when i tried to correct the gain by adding another op amp design the the end, the S curve was 'reflected'. I am looking for something that just shifts the S vertically without flipping. \$\endgroup\$ Oct 12, 2019 at 1:11
  • \$\begingroup\$ I see in your edited version that you tried an inverting amplifier which will do the flipping of the phase since its gain has a negative sign. In your original posting, ;you said you tried a non-inverting amplifier which should have worked. Can you post the schematic of that attempt so we can see what the problem is? \$\endgroup\$
    – Barry
    Oct 12, 2019 at 2:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ What, exactly, are you trying to achieve with your filter? This is far from clear in your post. \$\endgroup\$
    – Chu
    Oct 12, 2019 at 8:11

1 Answer 1


I think that what you are saying is to "add gain" but not "invert" the signal. Your added amplifier is an "inverting" amplifier. You are "going into" the - input. So just use a "non-inverting" amplifier, "going into" the + input. Not sure of your experience level .... do you know how to do that? You can search for "non-inverting op amp amplifier" on a search engine. Otherwise, just ask and I or others will draw it for you !


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.