I am trying to figure out a simple application/ circuit that would allow me to shift the voltage a little bit. Lets say we have an input voltage of range from 0 to 1 V. I need an output voltage of 0.2 to 1.2 V. This is just an example but I am looking for a generic solution. There is no negative voltage available in the circuit.

  • \$\begingroup\$ @le_top: No, that won't work at all. Draw it out on paper and maybe you'll see why. \$\endgroup\$ – Dave Tweed Oct 12 '19 at 20:01
  • \$\begingroup\$ Ok, maybe I wrote it out wrong - so I'll delete my comment as your drawing is what I meant to describe. \$\endgroup\$ – le_top Oct 12 '19 at 21:02

The classic 4-resistor difference amplifier will do what you want:


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab

This circuit keeps the difference between Vout and Vref equal to the difference between V+ and V-, effectively adding Vref to V+ if V- is grounded.

The opamp tries to keep its two input terminals at the same potential using negative feedback:

$$ \frac{V_{out} + V_-}{2} = \frac{V_{ref} + V_+}{2}$$

Multiply both sides by 2 and rearrange the terms to get:

$$V_{out} - V_{ref} = V_+ - V_-$$

simulation result

  • \$\begingroup\$ Yes, I messed up the terminals. I think its the simplest way, thanks. \$\endgroup\$ – Łukasz Przeniosło Oct 12 '19 at 20:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.