I'm looking for a sensor to sense impact, let's say the sensor is placed behind a thick metal/wood casing, the impact depending on the amount of force could either deform the casing or only causes vibrations. Every path have led me to strain gauge sensors and I was wondering if these types of sensors can sense a force that only cause vibrations ? I am not interested in calculating the force but only a sensor that's triggered by a force, is there a better option than strain gauge ? how much surface do one strain gauge sensor normally cover in terms of sensing ?

  • \$\begingroup\$ A Vibration sensor. aka a contact microphone \$\endgroup\$ – DKNguyen Nov 4 '19 at 14:44
  • \$\begingroup\$ A Shock Sensor . These use an accelerometer. \$\endgroup\$ – Steve G Nov 4 '19 at 14:47
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks, Piezo Sensors looks like the best option. \$\endgroup\$ – BigRedMachine Nov 4 '19 at 16:09
  • \$\begingroup\$ Perhaps even a low-travel tactile switch, if the deformation could exceed the travel limit of the switch? This could be a very low-cost approach. \$\endgroup\$ – TomServo Nov 4 '19 at 20:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.