I'm intending to buy a lab power supply, high likely a .. I'm thinking about a Korad KA3005D (see picture below).

It does not come with cables for the Red + and Black - terminals, and I (also) would like to have a plug to use power not only via the (4mm) banana plugs, but also by screwing it to the same terminal. I'm intending to create a cable myself.

My questions:

  • For connecting the power cables it can be either connected to the banana plug or to the screw. On the cable, a half round iron 'circle' is needed … how is such half round thing called to connect to it? I mean the 'plug' that needs to be added to the Red + and Black - terminals.
  • What is the (inner) diameter (if it is standard)?

enter image description here

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ The binding posts usually have a cross-hole you can put a stripped length of wire through, then when you tighten the screw you get a good connection without any particular connector. \$\endgroup\$
    – Austin
    Commented Dec 13, 2019 at 11:50
  • \$\begingroup\$ I expected that too, however, I rather have a 'better' dedicated connection. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Dec 13, 2019 at 12:03

1 Answer 1


It can have different names:

  • fork connector
  • Y (spade) connector
  • Y plug
    (or any mix of keywords mentioned above)

The connectors have different inner diameters.
Either measure it when you have the power supply or estimate the diameter based on overall dimensions (it doesnt need to be that precise).

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks, I found them :-) \$\endgroup\$ Commented Dec 13, 2019 at 10:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.