I have a ~$10 DC ammeter I mail ordered however long ago, on the display is printed Dagatron 7203 and on the lower right side of display is an upside down
U followed by an upside down
It is a ~2" square meter, with an analog display of 0 to 1 amp , with major markings every 0.2 amp with a minor marking of 0.01 amp.
I used this gauge playing around charging lead-acid 12v automotive batteries. I now want to use it to measure parasitic drain on an installed car battery.
My question is: what happens if DC current draw exceeds the 1 amp marking of the ammeter? I expect current to be well below 1 amp when I have this gauge connected, but in the event I open the car door and interior lights go on which is maybe around a 5 amp draw what would happen to the ammeter? Will it survive undamaged if it sees current greater than 1 amp? When exceeding the ammeter display how much over and for how long is reasonable to expect no damage?