Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post this question.

So I've just RGB modded an old CRT TV, and now I'm trying to replace a series of capacitors to hopefully fix some screen geometry issues, and I've run into a little road block on a few of the larger high-voltage ones. The terminals on the underside have some sort of star-shaped grip that I've never seen before, and can't figure out how to detach them. I've been able to get some of the solder off with my vacuum desoldering gun, but I can't quite figure out the gripper part.

capacitor terminal

The replacements I bought on DigiKey (same capacitance/voltage rating, but the terminals are just thick stumps) don't have these, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Thank you for your help.

  • \$\begingroup\$ For through hole parts with stuck legs I like to tape something heavy like a screw driver to the underside and then heat from above with hot air. \$\endgroup\$ – user1850479 Jan 21 at 1:24
  • \$\begingroup\$ If they are actually gripping the hole then squeeze them with pliers while molten to deform them? In both axis? Then make a third pass to remove? \$\endgroup\$ – DKNguyen Jan 21 at 1:51
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ it could be some sort of hollow rivet. does ot not come out whern you melt all the solder? \$\endgroup\$ – Jasen Jan 21 at 3:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ Jasen, you were exactly right \$\endgroup\$ – MyFingerHertz Jan 21 at 3:54

Nevermind, it was just some sort of rivet inside the hole; I was assuming it was all a single piece since it didn't want to fully desolder. I just needed to up the desolder gun's temp to get it to clear the hole:

enter image description here

(this one's a different cap than the first picture, but it's the same deal)

Thanks all for your suggestions!

  • \$\begingroup\$ Can you please mark this as the accepted answer? \$\endgroup\$ – mkeith Jan 21 at 3:57
  • \$\begingroup\$ Not for 2 days, I can't \$\endgroup\$ – MyFingerHertz Jan 21 at 4:01
  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ In two days would be fine. Thanks! \$\endgroup\$ – mkeith Jan 21 at 4:57
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I'm guessing mechanical strength, but depending how old the board is, it might be that it's double sided without plated through holes. If it's single sided, it's almost certainly to prevent the traces from peeling up off the board. \$\endgroup\$ – Cristobol Polychronopolis Jan 21 at 14:24
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ The traces are single sided, and the board (TV) was manufactured 2003 \$\endgroup\$ – MyFingerHertz Jan 22 at 5:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.