I have been reading more into the gain of a photodetector and how the system works. We are picking up extremely small signals and need to use a detector with a gain of around 1.0 × 10^7 but preferably higher. We are not looking to use PMTs. We are then also looking at a photodetector which can pick up modulation frequencies on the order of 500MHz - 2GHz so the detector needs to be very fast.
There are a few questions within this:
- Are there specific types of detectors which are best for this applications, such as Avalanche photodiodes or others?
- With detectors that have lower gain, how much is it possible to amplify them, can you take a detector which has a gain of around 1.0 × 10^5 and increase it to around 1.0 × 10^8 within hurting other areas such as Dark Noise?
- If you know of detectors which can do this can you point me in the right direction?
- Are GE Avalanche photodiodes more sensitive than Si and InGaAs?
- Are there other methods which can improve a photodetector which cannot achieve it currently?
Extra notes: - The wavelength that we are using in between 750-900nm
Thanks for the help!