My prototype project has these 3 components currently:
- US-17HS4401 stepper motor, rated at 12V / 1.7A
- MIG-400 6V DC motor, 6V / 10A max (although it was spinning fast enough at 3.75A)
- Particle Photon, 5V / 0.5 A
- 2x L298N driver controller (reduces voltage to motors by 2V)
- 1x DC-DC LM voltage regulator.
I'm looking to buy a power supply for my project. Looking at this the total current draw is: 5.95A, the maximum draw is: 3.75A
- My question is does the power supply need to add up the current required or just provide the maximum required?
- Since each device has different current requirement do I need to add a step down module for amps before each device?
What will happen if my device is given more amps than provided? Do I need to place before it any safeguards?
Rough schematic of my setup: