I use an automatic charger to charge my lead acid battery. After the battery is fully charged, it shifts to maintain mode where the charging current reduces to as low as 13 mA. I noticed that even after I unplugged the charger, while still connected to the battery, the charging current didn't fall to zero but stayed at 13 mA.
- Is this normal?
- If eventually there is still a “non-zero reading“ for the current, would it cause a spark when I'm removing the charger clips?
- If such spark happens to occur, would it favor a bigger problem as exploding the battery due to ignition of hydrogen generated if the battery has been overcharged?
The battery is 12 V and is being charged by a Motomaster charger on its automatic 2 A setting. Current before turning it on is 0.001 A.
This is a photo of the charging setup: