0
\$\begingroup\$

I mechanically opened a aluminium electrolyte capacitor and I am afraid now if anything could happen to me.

Can somebody help me please?

\$\endgroup\$
6
  • \$\begingroup\$ I think you're fine. Don't open chips that contain beryllium oxide, a white ceramic material that is thermally conductive but electrically insulative. Now that stuff is toxic (specifically the beryllium). Or batteries. \$\endgroup\$
    – DKNguyen
    Apr 30 '20 at 18:28
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Anyone know if this guy is still alive? electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/141969/… \$\endgroup\$ Apr 30 '20 at 18:29
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ You sound very worried. Please don't worry. Just use the normal precautions like everyone is saying. Wash your hands with soap and water after handling the capacitor. \$\endgroup\$
    – mkeith
    Apr 30 '20 at 18:36
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ The only kind of capacitor you really need to worry about are the really old (pre-1977 in North America) oil-filled ones that may contain PCBs (PolyChlorinated Biphenyls) which are carcinogenic & dioxin-like. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 30 '20 at 19:02
  • \$\begingroup\$ The PCB it was mounted on is probably more dangerous. \$\endgroup\$
    – pipe
    Apr 30 '20 at 19:42
5
\$\begingroup\$

From: Cornell Dubilier

Avoid ingestion, contact with the skin or eyes, and avoid prolonged inhalation.

In the case of electrolyte contact to skin, immediately rinse the exposed area with soap and water. If electrolyte contacts eyes, flush for 10 minutes with running water and seek medical attention. If vapors are present, ventilate the room. Smoke from burning electrolyte is irritating but does not contain dioxins or similar toxic substances. Seek medical attention if any symptoms persist. An SDS (Safety Data Sheet) is available for the electrolyte solvent base material.

\$\endgroup\$
9
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thank you very much, and what happens if somebody swallow it? because it is just a very small amount of electrolyte. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 30 '20 at 18:47
  • \$\begingroup\$ And how can be the vapors presented? \$\endgroup\$ Apr 30 '20 at 18:48
  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ @MatúšBagin Have you been eating capacitors? \$\endgroup\$
    – Simon B
    Apr 30 '20 at 18:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ No just asking if yes. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 30 '20 at 18:55
  • \$\begingroup\$ The electrolyte is not very toxic, but it will make you sick if you swallow enough of it. If you just touched a small amount of it you should have no reason to worry. At room temperature, there would not be much vapor. A capacitor that overheats in a live circuit will release some vapor. I have seen large capacitors overheat and explode. I and others in the room had no ill effects. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 30 '20 at 19:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.