I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett as a preamplifier between my computer and amplifier. The preamp gets power only through a USB connection. Sometimes when I touch the cover of the preamp, I can hear a small "poof" from my speakers. I didn't realize those were mild electric shocks, until today, when I touched the cover and heard a loud "poof" at the same time as I felt that poof on my finger. So, the cover of my preamp is giving out small electric shocks.
The warranty on the preamp has expired and I'm happy with it otherwise, so I would prefer to keep it. On the other hand, I don't want to feel another shock like the one I felt (or burn down the house). I was thinking, is there an easy way to make the preamp safe? Like, can I go out and buy a grounding wire and connect that from the cover of the preamp to the radiator? Or something like that?