I am looking for a non-mechanical means to measure the descension of a plate within a container about 3cm by 15cm by 7cm. The plate is not terribly well guided so there is a need for a lot of room for error, our resolution does not need to be high at all. We are measuring descension and ascension of about 3/4cm over the span of 15cm. Any thoughts on a sensor that could be good for my needs? it also needs to be rated to -20F and about 120F and be able to withstand fast acceleration and deceleration and shock. If you can help I will be very appreciative!
many rang finding options exist .. take your pick
- Ultrasonic (cheap, easy works over temperature accuracy is an issue)
- Laser range finder (expensive, accurate, works over temperature)
- inductive/capactive (depends on details of your application is this will be suitable)
- 77 GHz radar - for example has great resolution and is being used in automotive collision avoidance and cruise control as well as depth sensing of grain silos)
- Pressure sensor ?? - not sure if there will be a pressure change due to your environment
- many other possibilities: it really depends on your specific application requirement