A switch for a water heater in my apartment is broken (image attached). It is an "Anchor Roma 32 Amp 1-Way Switch with indicator".

Can I replace it with this or this switch?

Would the installation be similar or the same?


I am a software engineer; I am not an electrical engineer but I have replaced switches 8-10 times in the past. However I have always purchased the exact same switch.

Should I be paying attention to anything other than the Amperes?

I am in a highly effected (by covid19) red quarantine zone in Mumbai, India and the switch I am replacing is unavailable. I am also unable to get an electrician because my block has been cordoned off.

The broken switch

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ I am going to say no, circuit breakers are rated for a much lower number of switch cycles than a normal wall switch, so while I may serve the same function, it will fail sooner than the wall switch, \$\endgroup\$
    – Reroute
    May 31, 2020 at 8:38

1 Answer 1


It won't fit in the box. This means it will be difficult to operate, and will leave parts exposed that should not be.

The 'D. P.' likely means that it is a double pole switch - you should replace it with a double pole switch.

It looks like you can buy an exact replacement from the same place for similar cost. You should do this instead.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thank you. I actually am not able to get that one delivered to my post code. I suspected it would not fit but I thought I'd live with it. Anyway, thank you very much. \$\endgroup\$
    – nosh
    May 31, 2020 at 16:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.