enter image description here enter image description here

Hi, while I am tring to repair electronic circuit. I'm encountering this sponge. I wonder what is this sponge? and can I find out what it is used for. I often see this in sensitive circuits like in laptop board and near to cooling parts. Adheres on cooler materials

  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ EMC gasket. Search for laird tech. \$\endgroup\$ – winny Jun 2 '20 at 13:42
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ It's basically a fancy version of a spring engineered to be more conductive or lighter (or in some instances simply fancier/trendier/fashionable) than a simple spring contact \$\endgroup\$ – slebetman Jun 3 '20 at 5:28

It is some kind of soft-open-cell foam, wrapped in conductive tape, to ensure a good grounding and shielding contact between pieces. The foam may or may not have large amounts of carbon particles in it to make the foam itself conductive.


As established this is an EMC foam gasket. It is commonly applied to lids of stainless steel enclosures and used for various grounding practices to improve ground connections or to provide a faraday cage for the blocking of electromagnetic fields.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.