I want to buy a switch (push button) where you press it to break the circuit and then press again to connect the circuit.

I believe that this is what I'm looking for:


However, I'm not entirely sure. I only want to use this for a basic circuit, and I mean really basic, so don't worry about anything there.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Single Pole (SP) single Throw (ST) is s asimple switch.. When it is momentary, one usually chooses a switch that is Normally Open (NO). Then there DT types where one side is NO and the other NC (normally Closed) \$\endgroup\$ – Tony Stewart Sunnyskyguy EE75 Dec 3 '12 at 13:25

SPST NO (Normally Open) Momentary switch is exactly what is inside a computer keyboard - press for on, let go for off.

It sounds like you are looking for a Latching switch (works like a ballpoint pen) instead of Momentary.

If you can only find one with more poles or features (DPDT) it'll do the job - just ignore the extra features.

A brief look shows this from the same seller, I suspect he has others...

  • \$\begingroup\$ Hi again, I purchased this: ebay.com.au/itm/… and the switches arrived but they are the keyboard style switches :( is this a misteak by the seller? becuase the item page says it is a latching switch.. i want to know wether i should dispute this with the seller or not. Thanks in advance :) \$\endgroup\$ – ProdigyDoo Dec 17 '12 at 8:29
  • \$\begingroup\$ I would let the seller know the switch is not as described. Refer to this thread if need be. Give the seller a chance to fix the problem. But I would have expected you could find electronic parts closer than Hong Kong! The name Dick Smith comes to mind (and I've never been to .au! :-) \$\endgroup\$ – Brian Drummond Dec 17 '12 at 10:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.