For a small hobby project, I need something that is able to variably and smoothly oscillate between the range of 300MHz-500MHz depending on a potentiometer (or some other sort of variable input). The output would be SIN. Any suggestions or admonishments would be very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!


1 Answer 1


What you probably want is a voltage-controlled oscillator or VCO. There are lots of vendors that sell them.

Many VCO's will have logic level (square wave) outputs --- you'll need to look for one specifically with a sine wave output.

Also, 300-500 MHz is nearly an octave tuning range. You may have to look through a lot of parts before you find one that can cover this range.

Alternately, if you're designing for a reasonable volume product or have a budget to back you up, most vendors of frequency control parts are very happy to do custom products. The main drawback is there's typically something like 16-24 week lead time to get one made custom.

If you are just doing a one-off, or can't afford the wait time, there are various ways to build your own from standard parts.

  • \$\begingroup\$ (editing out my bad comment) \$\endgroup\$ Dec 6, 2012 at 17:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ I was trying to give a "good shopping question" answer to a "bad shopping question." \$\endgroup\$
    – The Photon
    Dec 6, 2012 at 17:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ Fixed it up. :) \$\endgroup\$ Dec 6, 2012 at 17:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.