I'd like to use an old laptop AC adapter in conjunction with an adjustable buck module as a project power supply.

It works, but I'm ignorant of some safety details; for example I'm uncertain whether my adapter, which uses a non-earthed input, is "isolated from the mains".

I've tried researching the symbols on the label, but one symbol which feels relevant I cannot identify:

What is that letter T in a triangle?

Does it mean "safe"?

Or "death"...?

  • 6
    \$\begingroup\$ People use that for charging laptops and have survived. Thus it must be isolated. I do love the exclamation mark, as if it says "Warning: Made in China". \$\endgroup\$ – Justme Jul 16 '20 at 22:37
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I've scoured the internet trying to figure out this symbol, including reverse image searches. The best theory I have is that it's something proprietary to Astec (now Artesyn, a subsidiary of Emerson). I don't believe it is a symbol related to compliance or safety. \$\endgroup\$ – JYelton Jul 16 '20 at 23:06
  • \$\begingroup\$ You're joking right? What would you expect from a Dell approved source? and you aren't concerned about the Made In China Symbol /!\ \$\endgroup\$ – Tony Stewart EE75 Jul 16 '20 at 23:30
  • \$\begingroup\$ it could be a stylized battery symbol \$\endgroup\$ – jsotola Jul 17 '20 at 0:01
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Justme Thanks for the reassurance. \$\endgroup\$ – Boann Jul 17 '20 at 10:45

Older symbol for Japan's Product Safety Electrical Appliance & Material. Replace by the second symbol.

enter image description here

From Product Approval Markings

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ WTG ssrat...... \$\endgroup\$ – Tony Stewart EE75 Jul 17 '20 at 9:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ So the symbol is not as specifically relevant as I thought. But nice find, thank you. \$\endgroup\$ – Boann Jul 17 '20 at 10:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.