I am not an electrical engineer. I have come to know about a term called as "Non-reciprocal Bandpass filters" which seems to be useful to me.

Here are some links to the papers (unfortunately there is no proper citation to find definition of the term)

link1 link2 link3

I would like to know if they are nothing but a type of isolator. Are these devices discussed in any book?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Where's the hyperlink to the term and where you found it and what other sources you looked at that contain it. Why does it appear useful to you? Asking for books is a shopping question and off-topic. \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Jul 21, 2020 at 11:30
  • \$\begingroup\$ Well I just found such a term online, and I am myself searching for its' definition. I am a researcher in Quantum Optics and I find that it is relevant to my work. i am not shopping for books. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 21, 2020 at 12:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ Never heard that term, but functionally it seems to be an isolator used at RF frequencies. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 21, 2020 at 14:28
  • \$\begingroup\$ @user1850479 I also have a hunch, hence I asked. Thanks for considering my question. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 21, 2020 at 14:33
  • \$\begingroup\$ @BrianDrummond It seems you deleted your answer? \$\endgroup\$ Jul 21, 2020 at 14:34

1 Answer 1


According to this patent application:

A nonreciprocal bandpass filter is one that only allows electromagnetic waves (signals) to flow in one direction.

It seems to be a way to eliminate circulators or other expensive devices in order to reduce the effect of reflections on a driving circuit.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Yes, I feel they are called bandpass filters as they allow non-reciprocity in only a small band of frequencies. Thanks for the help.It seems to be a relatively new term cropped up by researchers. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 21, 2020 at 14:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.