Example 16 identical battery cells rated as below:
- 3.2V 100Ah
- Max Continuous Discharge 100A / 1C
- Max Peak Discharge 200A / 2C for 100s
- Max Continuous Charge 50A / 0.5C
- Max Peak Charge 100A / 1C for 100s
Scenario 1 Cells arranged in 8S2P configuration (2 blocks in parallel, 8 of these in a row in series, 16 blocks total)
- New voltage 25.6V
- New capacity 200Ah
Scenario 2 Cells arranged in 2S8P configuration (8 blocks in parallel, 2 of these in a row in series, 16 blocks total)
- New voltage 6.4V
- New capacity 800Ah
- In each scenario, what are the values of continuous/peak charge/discharge currents and why?
- Does this change with differing battery chemistry (given otherwise same spec)?
- Purpose of this is to understand what loads can be attached to a given battery bank constructed from the cells (max discharge current) and what a safe charging current would/should be (max charge current).