This might sound trivial, but I only have experience with standard PCBs. I need to design LED tube PCB and is only 20mm wide, so there will be at least 10 pieces next to each other on one panel.

My question is, how are these made to be separated? The tubes I took apart have all boards with smooth edges. The assembly house warned me, that it is not the same to separate these as it is with standard PCBs.

Maybe I will need a special equipment for this?

  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ Talk to the PCB manufacturer. \$\endgroup\$
    – Neil_UK
    Commented Aug 19, 2020 at 18:45
  • \$\begingroup\$ Good one, of course! Still, being educated before hearing them gives me power to ask better questions. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Aug 20, 2020 at 4:40

1 Answer 1


You can have them milled and V-grooved in a similar way to the way it is done on FR4 PCBs.

The edges where they are separated from where the V-groove was will not be smooth, the other edges will be smooth.

If you require all the edges to be smooth you can have them milled out entirely and insert them into carriers for assembly.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thank you, this pretty much sums it up nicely in a few sentences. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Aug 20, 2020 at 4:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.