Standard optocouplers have a polarised input and a polarised output, thus:


It is possible to get a coupler with a non-polarised input, thus:

nonpolarised opto

However, what I require is an optocoupler with non-polarised outputs - for example, having two optotransistors/optodiodes in reverse-parallel. Does such a thing exist, cheaply (i.e. for a comparable price to standard optos)?

I prefer a DIP-4 package, but anything easy to solder by hand would do. And it should be smaller than DIP-8 because otherwise I might as well just use two standard optos in reverse-parallel.

(Note: triac outputs are not suitable, because they latch when passing DC. I just want two normal phototransistors/diodes in reverse-parallel.)

I have googled to no avail.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Digikey and Mouser have sortable tabular part data. \$\endgroup\$ – StainlessSteelRat Sep 7 at 18:59
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Yes they exist, and no, not for the same low price as the simple polarised single transistor output. Most of that type have two anti-series MOSFETs in the output. Look up H11F1 on Digikey, then look for parts similar to that. What about a standard opto operating into a schottky diode bridge rectifier? \$\endgroup\$ – Neil_UK Sep 7 at 19:01
  • \$\begingroup\$ Solid state relay. \$\endgroup\$ – Andy aka Sep 7 at 19:26
  • \$\begingroup\$ H11F1 looks interesting. But it has a DIP-6 package while only actually using 4 pins. I'm trying to save space on my board. Currently I'm using two optos (2x DIP-4) for each of three data lines. That's the equivalent of a DIP-12 opto, and it's somewhat large. \$\endgroup\$ – Sod Almighty Sep 7 at 19:31
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ What kind of signal do you want to switch? It might be easiest to use the phototransitor output to control an analog switch like 74xx1G66. \$\endgroup\$ – CL. Sep 7 at 19:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.