I know you can smooth DC with a capacitor but what if you have an unstable mains AC voltage (here in the UK that's 240V 50Hz)? Are there components that can be used or products one can make/buy for the same sort of end goal, a more constant supply?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ You need an AC-DC-AC converter \$\endgroup\$
    – JonRB
    Sep 8 '20 at 22:29
  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ There are a number of options (including motor-generators, AC/DC/AC converter, Constant voltage transformer...). You should edit your question to say what type of AC power you have (e.g. 1 phase 50Hz 230V?), what is wrong with your AC (Transients? Brownouts? short dropouts? Varying voltage? Varying frequency?) and what you need to provide power to (Motor? Resistive load? SMPS?). \$\endgroup\$
    – Jack B
    Sep 8 '20 at 22:43
  • \$\begingroup\$ Why do you want a 'constant' AC supply? \$\endgroup\$
    – Chu
    Sep 9 '20 at 0:52
  • \$\begingroup\$ If you truly need one, buy. Don't build because this is on the high-end of power projects. \$\endgroup\$
    – DKNguyen
    Sep 9 '20 at 1:19
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Higher-end UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) have this function. It's called a Double Conversion On-Line UPS. \$\endgroup\$
    – StarCat
    Sep 9 '20 at 9:47

You could try a mains surge suppressor. They are cheap and might work if the problem is excess spikes on the mains. Do the LED lights flicker if driven from a wall circuit rather than lighting circuit? If so, try the suppressor. If not, then it is something else


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.