I'm sensing the output current of a transformer which can get up to 250A. However, I'm only interested in turning on a separate circuit if this current exceeds 10A. If I use a 0-15A hall effect sensor and the current goes to 250A, will the sensor be damaged? I can't find any info on the max amount of current through a sensor before damage, only the max amount it can read accurately. I haven't chose a sensor yet, but it does need to be the type where it clamps around an existing wire.
I haven't chose a sensor yet, but it does need to be the type where it clamps around an existing wire.
Hall effect sensors work by detecting magnetic fields. I've never heard of a magnetic field sensor being damaged by too strong of a magnetic field. (Within reason - of course if it was extremely strong like an MRI then it might suck the sensor in and smash it to bits)
The only reason why the sensor might be damaged, that I know of, is if the wire is part of the sensor and you overload the wire so it burns. But since you're only looking at sensors where the wire isn't part of the sensor, that can't happen.