I'm thinking of using the R10015RS02Q SP10T rotary switch for an upcoming project I'm working on.

enter image description here

It's marketed as having a flush/slotted type actuator which I think requires something like a flathead screwdriver to rotate.

What I'd really want is for it to be hand actuated, however all the knobs I've found are meant to be used for a shaft-type rotary switch. I know it's possible to get a shafted SP10T rotary switch, but in my research it's cheaper to get these flush/slotted kinds.

My question is are these flush/slotted actuator devices ever intended to be used with a knob/hand actuated, or am I looking in all the wrong places for a knob?

As a side note, what are these slotted rotary switches usually used for/with (if anything)?

I know this is awfully close to a shopping-type question, I'm justifying it as valid because of this question which asks what type of knob to use with a round shaft potentiometers.

  • \$\begingroup\$ This switch is not meant for your needs, but there are nice small not expensive ones made for rotating by fingers without using tools. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jan 3, 2013 at 5:38

2 Answers 2


The rotary switch under discussion is typically used for preset / factory setting or maintenance purposes - such as for setting a part of a device address, a configuration value to be read during device operation, or selection of power path for enabling one of several circuit sub-sections.

The particular part you have selected has silver-plated copper contacts (Q suffix) for power routing, rather than low-level signal routing or configuration setting.

The lack of available knobs for this type of switch aligns with the design goal of not making it convenient for end-users to make changes - like having a sticker "No user-serviceable parts inside".

For a hand-actuated equivalent, look for flatted actuator, or knob actuator designs. Some thumbwheel actuated designs are also very cost-effective, especially on eBay or other such sites.


A quick search indicates you may be able to find thumbwheels cheaper than the device you have selected, if 10 positions are not a firm requirement.

Another reason for going with thumbwheels is that they are less obtrusive than knob / shaft devices, hence allowing sleeker enclosures!

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ OP's switch is for top-mount, these thumbwheels are for side mount. Any nice top-mount ones you can suggest? \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jan 3, 2013 at 5:39
  • \$\begingroup\$ @ExcitingProjects Top mount isn't a requirement for me, but 10 channels is. I can/have found other switches, I was just curious about this type. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jan 3, 2013 at 7:04
  • \$\begingroup\$ @helloworld922 Lol! I was asking for top mount for my own similar project requirement! \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jan 3, 2013 at 7:09

The switches with screwdriver slot are typically used for settings that need to be fixed most of the time and adjusted only infrequently. Think of a selector switch on a rear panel of a fixed industrial device, which sets an address of the device on some modbus. The fact that this switch needs a tool to turn it prevents an accidental change of setting.

I think that there wouldn't be an [official] knob for this switch. But, like the O.P. wrote, there are other selector switches with knobs.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.